We all know that black pepper is one of the most popular and widely-used spices in our kitchens. But did you know that it's also beneficial to your health? It can help improve digestion, reduce inflammation, and even lower blood pressure. In this blog post, we're going to take a look at some recipes that would be incomplete without black pepper!
You've always got black pepper at home (Unless you've run out), so it's one of the items you can't do without! I remember my Granny telling me that we should never run out of black pepper. In fact, she warned us that if we did run out then we'd be the ones who suffered - because she would refuse to cook for us until we went and bought some more!!
I love adding a bit of spice to food whenever possible. And while there are many different types of seasonings available in supermarkets nowadays - not just chilli powder and curry mixes - they still don't compare to freshly ground or crushed peppercorns (and our favourite flavour is BLACK!). It makes such a difference to the taste of your food - and not just because it's more expensive!
Here are some common dishes which just can't do without black pepper:
- Freshly shucked oysters on the half shell. YUM!
- Ribeye steak seasoned with salt, pepper, and onion powder before being grilled
- Shrimp stir-fried in garlic butter or olive oil (garlic, lemon juice and crushed red chilli flakes are optional)
- Chicken wings tossed with soy sauce mixed with brown sugar plus Tabasco sauce to taste (don't forget lots of freshly ground black pepper)
- Tuna salad with sliced hard-boiled eggs, sweet pickle relish, chopped onion and capers
- Any kind of burger (for a gourmet touch add pepper jack cheese) or grilled meat sandwich
- Hard boiled egg yolks mashed with mayonnaise plus dry mustard to taste
- Tuna steak seasoned with salt, freshly ground black pepper plus olive oil before being grilled
- Grilled prawns seasoned with salt and pepper then served on a bed of rice tossed in soy sauce mixed with brown sugar and sesame seeds until coated (for a more authentic Asian flavour add crushed red chilli flakes)
- Eggs Benedict - the English breakfast classic of poached eggs served atop toasted muffins topped with hollandaise sauce and Canadian bacon or ham (the ‘holy trinity’ of Hollandaise is lemon juice, minced shallots, and fresh black pepper)
Most foods can be enhanced by adding freshly ground black pepper rather than using pre-mixed season
We hope you've had a chance to try some of these recipes that can't do without black pepper! If you're still in need, head over to your local grocery store and pick up the spice. And we don't just have one suggestion for how to use it - use it on almost any dish for an instant flavour upgrade.
What are YOUR favourite recipes that can't do without black pepper? For an unlimited supply of fresh peppercorns at great prices - along with all the other spices you could ever need - visit our main site today!